A centering practice to bring intention to the mind, stillness to the body and revival to the spirit.
To begin this exercise, set a timer for 15 minutes. Find a comfortable place to sit. With both feet on the floor, determine to let go of thought, worry, or even prayer.
Intentionally clear your mind of agenda, and simply be present in open silence. As thoughts come to you, acknowledge them and send them on their way. The only mindful awareness you should experience in this exercise is the noticing of your breath moving in, through and out of your body.
- Breathe in for approximately five seconds: One one thousand, two one thousand, three one thousand, four one thousand, five. Allow your entire body to welcome the breath.
- Hold the inhale for five seconds: One one thousand, two one thousand, three one thousand, four one thousand, five.
- Let go, slowly, with a sigh of relief exhale: One one thousand, two one thousand, three one thousand, four one thousand, five.
- Take another deep breath, with the same technique, counting one to five; in your mind’s eye watch your breath fill your body from the soles of your feet, to the very top of your head. And hold for five, again. See your body full of life.
- As you breathe out, count to five, as above with the inhale. Let go of tension as if it were a wave moving from your head, down your body, and out through the soles of your feet. Imagine the feeling of letting go.
- On the next breath, repeat the technique.
- Continue until 15 minutes has passed.